Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A great horse & carriage tour

Jekyll Island Campground
Jekyll Island, GA

We are gluttons for punishment,
but it seemed silly to drive 4 miles to
the same area we were in yesterday.

So..
we gathered up Kathy & Paul,
and we all rode again to the historic area of the island.
I must say that Jekyll has the best bike trails I've ever seen!

On our way there, Paul had to stop to repair his bike tire.


We found the stables where Three Oaks Carriage & Trail  is located.
For $15 per person, we got an informative tour of 
Jekyll's historic buildings.
While we waited for our driver & horse,
a few of us 'horsed around' :-)


Our driver, Shannon is waiting!



We went in and around some very cool, historical buildings.







There were beautiful flowers planted in front of them..


A lot of famous millionaires owned these homes back in the day.
Rockefeller, JP Morgan, Pullitzer to name a few.

Of course all that riding around made us hungry.
We got a recommendation from our driver to have lunch
at the Jekyll Island Hotel.


We sat outside and had great salads.
But then we just had to have an ice cream too!


It was time to ride back after that.
We took the other bike trail on the east side of the island.
I used my RunKeeper app to track our ride..
All in all we biked over 11 miles!



9 comments:

  1. That looks like a terrific place to visit…Hope we can go there some day! There are so many wonderful places to still explore…Glad we get to visit them through our blogging, traveling friends. That's the best we can do for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sure doing a great job of selling me on Jekyll Island. 11 mile bike ride absolutely requires ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the driver gets a commission for sending folks to the hotel for lunch? ;c)

    Just another reason to love Jekyll Island.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am now planning a trip to Jekyll Island :) Looks like a fabulous place for a few days :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a fun day, again. I have to say I am envious!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to spend a beautiful day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At a bicycle shop one can purchase 'puncture resistant' tubes. I have these in my bike, there are 30+ years old and I have not had a flat in about 5000 miles. Yes, 5K. They will make the bike heavier. Do not buy them at Wal-Mart as these have a substance in them that will clog the valve and prevent air from getting in and if you do have a flat with one of them it will probably ruin the rim. I use to own half interest in a bicycle shop.

    Please be careful on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven’t been to Jekyll in a long time. I was in St. Simon last year…just never got that far. Rich and I used to go often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun memories we made together on Jekyll. We will have to meet again at another bling destination. Cape Cod maybe?
    Thanks for the memories, my friends !

    ReplyDelete